Old view of Esplanade E. showing Dhurrumtollah Tank, 1867
Scope and Contents
291x175mm. View from the Ochterlony Monument taken c.1867. This view forms a part of Samuel Bourne's seven part panorama of the city (see also Y3022E8, Y3022S/66, Y3022AA/3). In the foreground on the Maidan is the old Dhurrumtollah Tank before it was filled in, with Esplanade Row beyond and northern Calcutta in the background. The buildings visible along the Esplanade are, from left to right, Madame Nielly's French Millinery shop, Payne & Co.'s 'Belatee Bungalow' (on the site later to be occupied by the Foreign and Military Secretariat), William Coish & Co., T.E. Thomson's premises before renovation (see preceding plate) and the musjid at the junction with Chowringhee Road, (Massey p.94). Similar view at Y3022L/67.
- Creation: 1867
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date