[Premises of WaIter Locke & Co. Ltd., Esplanade Row East], 1918
Scope and Contents
229x269mm. View from the street showing the four storey premises of Walter Locke & Co., situated at 4 Esplanade Row between Thacker, Spink & Co. (see Y3022AA/62) and the Foreign Office. This firm of electrical contractors, motor engineers and sports outfitters was founded as a firearms importer in 1888 and expanded into the motor car and engineering business under the proprietorship of W.J. Bradshaw (d. 1924). Locke's also at this period maintained a garage and works at 14 British Indian Street. Massey, in his illustration, uses an earlier photograph, heavily retouched and allowing the side of the building to be seen. (Photographer unknown, probably Johnston and Hoffman).
- Creation: 1918
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date