Skip to main content

[Premises of Thacker, Spink & Co., Esplanade Row], 1918

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3022AA/62

Scope and Contents

240 x 285 mm. View from the street showing the five storey block next to Esplanade Mansions at 3 Esplanade Row, occupied by the firm on its completion in 1916. This famous firm of publishers, printers and booksellers was founded by William Thacker, an East India Company surgeon, in 1819, with his wife running the St Andrew's Library. His nephew William Spink joined the firm in 1839 and became a partner in 1851, in which year the firm assumed the name of Thacker, Spink &Co. Their most famous publication was the invaluable yearly 'Thacker's Post Office Directory', which first appeared in 1863 and continued under various titles up to the present day. William Thacker died in 1872. Spink left Calcutta in 1876, but continued to manage the London end of the business until 1882. He died in 1891. The original premises were in the Lal Bazar but at some stage were removed to Old Court House Street. In 1841 they moved to 6 Government Place where they remained until 1916, (Massey p.100).


  • Creation: 1918


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Date information

DateText: The date is approximate..

Finding aid date

2011-01-24 12:08:00+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom