[Premises of Martin & Co., Clive Street], 1918
Scope and Contents
278x217mm. View of Nos. 6 and 7 Clive Street, showing the premises of Martin & Co., architects, engineers and contractors. The firm was founded in 1875 by Sir Acquin Martin and amalgamated with Burn & Co. in 1927. The business had extensive interests in light railways as well as other engineering concerns, and was responsible for the erection of many of the most notable buildings raised in Calcutta and elsewhere in India in the early 20th century, among them the Victoria Memorial Hall, Esplanade Mansions, the Sir Steuart Hogg Market (see Y3022BB/21), the Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China and the Alliance Bank of Simla. The premises of the South British Insurance Company, adjoining Martin's offices and dated 1904 above the entrance, were also built by the firm, (Playne pp.153-157, Massey p.90). Photographer unknown, probably Johnston and Hoffman.
- Creation: 1918
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date