The Town Hall, 1918
Scope and Contents
290x206mm. View from Esplanade Row showing the S. facade of the Town Hall, partially obscured by trees. The building is a two storey block with a hexastyle portico in the Tuscan- Doric order supporting a heavy entablature which runs the length of the terrace roofed building. The architect was John Garstin who had been responsible for the construction of the astonishing gola at Bankipur in the 1780s and who was afterwards Chief Engineer in Bengal (for full biographical details, see R.H. Phillimore, 'Historical records of the Survey of India', vol. 2, pp.400-402). The construction of a town hall had been decided upon by the citizens of Calcutta at a meeting in 1804, and the money subsequently raised by public lottery. Building started at the end of 1807 and was completed in 1813. For a view of the building in the 1860s, see Y3022E/2. In the right foreground, facing the building is the statue by Sir Richard Westmacott of Lord Bentinck, Governor-General 1838-34, (Massey p.54).
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Bourne and Shepherd
Finding aid date
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com