Distant view of Writers Buildings, before the Dalhousie Institute was built, 1860 - 1869
Scope and Contents
239x154mm. View looking N. along Wellesley Place, across Dalhousie Square (formerly Tank Square) and towards the Writers Buildings. At the junction of Wellesley Place and Dalhousie Square South stands a small open portico containing a statue of the Marquis of Hastings (Governor-General 1813-23) by Flaxman, erected by the citizens of Calcutta in around 1826. This later became the entrance portico of the Dalhousie Institute. The photograph was probably taken in the early 1860s since no trace of building work in connection with the Institute (commenced in 1865), can be seen. The church to the right of Writers Buildings is St Andrew's Church ('The Scotch Kirk'), modelled on St Martin in the Fields and built 1815-18, (Massey p.53). Photograph credited to Johnston and Hoffman (who were not extant in the 1860s).
- 1860 - 1869
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date