Carving in granite at Anuradhapura [caption on plate: carved terminal to wing monastery, Anuradhapura], 1870 - 1900
Scope and Contents
213 x 270 mm. View of one of the dwarpals, or door guardians, which stand at the main entrance to the Dalada Maligawa (Temple of the Tooth) at Anuradhapura. This stone slab, with a sigmoid top similar in shape to an English graveyard headstone, is carved in deep relief with a full length figure flanked by two dwarf-like attendants. The Dalada Maligawa stands within the precincts of the Thuparama Dapada and was built to enshrine the left canina of Buddha which was brought to Ceylon in 311 AD. After various vicissitudes it was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1560, the so-called tooth in the Dalada Maligawa at Kandy being a spurious substitute of later date (see QM 2/16). This photograph is reproduced in James G. Smither, 'Architectural remains: Anaradhapura, Ceylon' (London, n.d. ?1894) Plate 57. Duplicate at Y3022C/38.
- 1870 - 1900
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Scowen and Co
Finding aid date