Scope and Contents
Contains platinum prints, measuring circa 275 x 210 mm. and mounted in an untitled red half leather album, which from marks on its front cover once had a Maltese Cross attached inscribed: 'Malta 1901' in Queen Mary's hand on the flyleaf. Though the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (as they then were) visited Malta on HMS Ophir from 25-27 March 1901, on their way to Australia, this album is not a record of their visit, but a collection of local scenes, including places they visited, presumably presented on that occasion. Plate 5 is marked R. Ellis. Titles are marked on the prints; plates 1-6 are of Valletta, plates 7-54 the Co-Cathedral of St John, 55-68 the Governors Palace (both these buildings were visited in the morning of 26 March), 69 St Antonio Palace (27 March), 70-71 Mdina Cathedral (26 March) and 72 the Chapel of Bones. The Co-Cathedral of St. John, originally built as a Conventual Church of the Order of St John (the Knights of Malta) 1573-1577, and containing memorials of its Grand Masters, it was created a co-Cathedral in 1816. It is probable that the whole collection came from the studio of Richard Ellis.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Richard Ellis (floruit 1870-1929), a commercial photographer, founded his photographic business in Malta in 1871 and his studio in 1915. The studio was located at 278 Strada Reala, Valletta.
1 album(s) (72 images in 1 boxed album)
Language of Materials
GD. PJ (main entry and indexing).
DateText: Date of presentation of album.
? Ellis, Richard, fl 1870-1929, photographer
Finding aid date