Skip to main content

View of the Island from Nan-chu-tao, 1908-11

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Fisher 17/4060

Scope and Contents

From the File:

The album now contains photographs numbered in the range 4000-4145 (originally there were 142). Added numbers are: 4129A-D; not used: 4067-4069, 4072, 4078, 4084, 4110 and 4129; missing: 4090, 4096 and 4138.

Subjects covered in the album are:
'Empress of China' at Woosung; Shanghai. Wei Hai Wei [now known as Weihai]: approach from the sea, view from Government House: Chinese guard; market and street scenes; Nan-Chu-Tao; Chang Fang; Fenglin; Linkungtau Island: distillery and dockyard; Commissioner's daughter; European school; Widows' Memorials at Temple; photographs by Afong: presentation to district Headman, winter scenes; photographs supplied by Commissioner Lockhart: shark fishers, general scenes, visit of Governor of Shantung October 1908.


  • Creation: 1908-11


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Slightly faded.



Finding aid date

2002-09-16 10:30:37+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom