Skip to main content

Collection of tracts, sixteenth to seventeenth centuries

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Dd.14.28

Scope and Contents

(1) Edmund Spenser, ‘A viewe of the presente estate of Irelande discoursed by waye of a dialogue betweene Eudoxius and Irenius’; at the end is ‘Finis anno dni 1590’, although the date usually assigned to the work is 1596; see also MS Dd.10.60;
(2) ‘A short view of the reigne of Kinge Henrie the third written by Sir Robert Cotton knight baronett in anno 1614 and by him presented to his majestie the same yeare’, c 1642;
(3) ‘The fore-runner of revenge upon the duke of Buckingham for the poysoning of the most potent king James of happie memorie king of Great Brittaine and the lord marquiss of Hamilton and others of the nobilitie, discovered by me George Eglisham one of King James his phisitions for his majesties person above the space of tenn yeares ... Franckfort. Anno dni 1626’; see also MS Ee.02.32, no. 17;
(4) ‘A briefe journal of passages in the assembly of divines convened by the summons of the two houses of parliament to consult and advise for the settling of the government and liturgy of the Church of England anno 1643’; see also MS Dd.14.21;
(5) (a) ‘The declaration of the lords and commons to the king, on March 14th, 1623, with the king’s answer’, from the lords’ journals, (b) ‘The king by his letters of explanation under his privie signet (read in the parliament house on Wednesday the 17th of March by the Lord Keeper) did enform the house’, (c) ‘The resolution of the parliament on Satterdaie the 20 of March’ [1623] to grant three subsidies and three fifteenths, (d) ‘His ma’ties declaration at Whitehall, 23 March, 1623’, (e) ‘The prince and the duke of Buckingham: their speeches 24 Feb. 1623’, and other papers; see also MS Dd.03.87 no. 16;
(6) Latin, 16th century: 'Hugonis Candidi Cœnobii burgensis historia’, beginning ‘Est nobile monasterium in regione ...’, lacking the prologus and the last three paragraphs of the edition published in London, 1723.
Bound in two volumes: (1)-(2) in volume 1, (3)-(6) in volume 2.


  • Creation: sixteenth to seventeenth centuries


Conditions Governing Access

From the Collection:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


2 volume(s)

Language of Materials



Custodial History

(6) is marked on the old cover ‘Geo Davenport 1652’ and in place of the title is written ‘Hugo White collected this little manuscript’. In the Library by the mid 1750s.

Physical Description


Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom