Skip to main content

Tanjong Pagar Docks, Singapore, 1890 - 1899

 Item
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 1/9

Scope and Contents

274 x 211 mm. A view looking down onto the Victoria Dock which contains an American-built barque and a steamer, with a large group of the workforce watching the photographer from the dockside. Established in 1863 to cope with increasing congestion in the New Harbour, by 1866 a 750 ft wharf had been built and two years later the graving dock, named after Queen Victoria, was opened. A second graving dock, the Albert Dock, followed in 1879. A period of recession was ended by the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 and thereafter the Tanjong Pagar Docks occupied a monopolistic position: in 1885 it took over the Borneo Company wharf and fourteen years later in 1899 bought out the New Harbour Dock Company. It was expropriated by the government in 1905.

Dates

  • Creation: 1890 - 1899

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

Language of Materials

English

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition apart from small tear at one corner.

Existence and Location of Copies

CN 742.

Bibliography

This print is reproduced in: Moore, Donald and Joanna (1969), The first 150 years of Singapore, facing p. 473

General

PJ.

Date information

DateText: 1890s Dated in Moore (1969) as 1892.

Originator(s)

G R Lambert and Co

Finding aid date

2002-04-29 11:52:44+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom