Skip to main content

The Singapore River, 1880 - 1889

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/BAM 1/1

Scope and Contents

275 x 207 mm (mounted on card). A view from the South Boat Quay looking north-west along the Singapore River towards Fort Canning. With moored boats in the foreground and craft (blurred through movement) on the river. The hill on which Fort Canning stands was originally known as the Bukit Larangan and was a sacred burial place of the Malay Kings. It was at the summit of what came to be known as Government Hill that Raffles built a bungalow in 1823, and Government House was situated here until the building of Fort Canning in 1859. On the river immediately below the fort is the Elgin Bridge, an iron girder construction imported from Calcutta and erected in 1863. The bridge, which replaced Thompson's Bridge, was itself replaced in 1925. At the right of the picture can be seen the river frontage of the government offices. These buildings were extended down to the river by J.F.A. McNair between 1873-1875. Photograph probably by G.R. Lambert and Co.


  • Creation: 1880 - 1889


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Language of Materials


Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition, apart from some fading at edges.

Existence and Location of Copies

CN 737.



Date information

DateText: [1880s ?].


G R Lambert and Co (?)

Finding aid date

2002-03-11 17:01:10+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom