Skip to main content

Map of the Marquesa Islands, 1774-04

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 14/58: 102a

Scope and Contents

Discovered by Mendana in 1595 and seen by Captain Cook in the Resolution 1774. The map shows the course of the ship and five islands: Hood’s Island (to the north), Ohevahoa or La Domenica, Ohitahoo or Christina, Onateayo or St. Pedro, and Madga Lina (to the south). The latitude and east and west longitude from Greenwich are indicated in the border. Signed by William Wales.


  • Creation: 1774-04


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


1 folio(s) (1 folio) : Paper

Language of Materials


Original geographic information

Marquises, Îles [subject]

Finding aid date

2012-05-09 10:21:02+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom