Letters sent by Lady Clive vol. 4, 1814 - 1817
Scope and Contents
A folder of c.55 letters sent by Lady Clive mainly to her niece, Margaret Maskelyne. Topics include astronomy, politics (including the abdication of Napoleon and events in Spain) and family or domestic matters, including details of family history, and the death of her daughter Margaret Walpole as a result of injury by fire (1814). The letter of 3 Dec. 1814 includes mention of Nevil Maskelyne's 'confrère', Delambre. That of 19 June 1816 refers to the knighthood of William Herschel. That of 17 May 1817 includes an anecdote involving Nevil Maskelyne asking Lord Suffolk to wait while he fixed his wig before meeting him.
All items have been numbered according to their original order in the file.
- 1814 - 1817
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume (163 pp.)) : Paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
This item is fragile - pages must be turned with great care. Many pages are now loose.
Clive, Margaret (1735-1817)
Finding aid date
- Clive, Margaret, 1735 - 1817 (née Maskelyne, Lady Clive of Plassey, society figure)
- Delambre, Jean Baptiste Joseph, 1749 - 1822 (mathematician and astronomer)
- Herschel, William, Sir, 1738 - 1822 (Knight, astronomer and musician)
- Maskelyne, Margaret, 1785 - 1858 (daughter of Nevil Maskelyne)
- Maskelyne, Nevil, 1732 - 1811 (astronomer and mathematician)
- From the Management Group: Royal Greenwich Observatory (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com