Records of the Sub-Department of Animal Behaviour, 1946 - 1988
Scope and Contents
Cover every aspect of the operation of the sub-department. Include records relating to the MRC Unit on the Development and Integration of Behaviour housed in the Sub-Department.
- Creation: 1946 - 1988
- University of Cambridge. Sub-Department of Animal Behaviour (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The sub-department, established in 1960, developed from the Ornithological Field Station built on four and a half acres of field and woodland on the Madingley Estate in 1950. Originally funded by the University, Nuffield and Rockefeller Foundations to study bird behaviour, particularly the relative influence of heredity and environment, in 1958 the MRC and Mental Health Research Fund provided grants to widen research to include monkey behaviour. The MRC Unit for the Development and Integration of Behaviour was formally set up in 1970 focusing on social development in children and non-human primates, birds and small mammals. The first director was W.H. Thorpe (1902-86). He was succeeded by R.A. Hinde (1923-2016) in 1970 and P.P.G. Bateson (1938-2017) in 1976.
2 linear metre(s)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Sub-Department of Animal Behaviour
Finding aid date