Observations of the going rates of the two timekeepers, 1772-07-10 - 1775-07-30
Scope and Contents
Daily observations of the going rate of the two watches during the voyage, with signatures from each of the three keyholders, William Wales, Captain James Cook, and First Lieutenant Robert Palliser Cooper (sometimes signed instead by Charles Clerke, Joseph Gilbert, or Richard Pickersgill).
The rates are recorded alongside the temperatures inside and outside the cabin and comments on any difficulties with proceeding, and on periodic comparisons made between the watches and either the voyage's astronomical regulator clock or regulators accessed during some landfalls. Records for Mr Arnold’s timekeeper stop on 7 June 1773, when the watch failed to wind up again.
- 1772-07-10 - 1775-07-30
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
13 folio(s) (13 ff.) : Paper
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- Arnold, John, c1736 - 1799 (watch and chronometer maker)
- Clerke, Charles, 1741 - 1779 (Captain Royal Navy, second in command to Captain Cook)
- Cook, James, 1728 - 1779 (Captain, Royal Navy explorer)
- Cooper, Robert Palliser, 1805 (Rear-Admiral)
- Gilbert, Joseph, fl1772 - 1779 (Master Royal Navy)
- Harrison, John, 1693 - 1776 (horologist)
- Kendall, Larcum, 1719 - 1790 (watchmaker)
- Pickersgill, Richard, 1749 - 1779 (3rd Lieutenant Royal Navy)
- From the File: Wales, William, 1734 - 1798 (astronomer and mathematician) (Person)