Letters to Humphrey Lloyd, 1991
Scope and Contents
Around 150 letters from various correspondents to Professor Humphrey Lloyd, Provost of Trinity College, Dublin. There are numerous letters from G.B. Airy and Sir John Herschel. Other correspondents include well-known scientists, including John Couch Adams, A.D. Bache, David Brewster, Buys Ballot, John Challis and C.F. Gauss.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 item(s) (1 microfilm)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
An explanatory note by P.S. Laurie, 10 February 1965, is with the microfilm.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The letters were microfilmed by Dr Nathan Reingold of the U.S. Library of Congress. The microfilm was presented to the R.G.O. Archives in September 1999.
Finding aid date
- Adams, John Couch, 1819-1892 (astronomer)
- Airy, George Biddell, Sir, 1801 - 1892 (Knight, astronomer)
- Brewster, David, Sir, 1781 - 1868 (Knight, natural philosopher and academic administrator)
- Challis, James, 1803 - 1882 (astronomer and physicist)
- Gauss, Carl Friedrich, 1777 - 1855 (mathematician, astronomer and physicist)
- Herschel, John Frederick William, Sir, 1792 - 1871 (Knight, astronomer)
- Lloyd, Humphrey, 1800 - 1881 (physicist and university administrator)