Skip to main content

Correspondence of Fallows and Henderson, 1820 - 1833

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 15/27

Scope and Contents

Correspondence of F. Fallows and S. Henderson during their respective periods as Cape Astronomer. The letters deal mainly with the initial establishment of the Observatory, its daily running, instructions from the Lords Commissioners on work to be conducted, and information on the provision of instruments. The correspondence includes the following items:

A letter from the Lords Commissioners appointing Fallows as Cape Astronomer, 26 October 1820.

A letter from T. Young, Secretary to the Board of Longitude, instructing Fallows on the siting of the Observatory, 4 July 1822.

A letter regarding the appointment of the Revd Scully as First Assistant, 4 August 1823.

A letter proposing that Mr Cannon be engaged to build the Observatory, 15 February 1825.

A letter concerning the appointment of Capt. W. Ronald as an assistant and the transfer to the Cape of a large mural circle and other instruments, 5 July 1826.

A letter on the supply of instruments by G. Dolland, 3 August 1826.

A letter regarding an agreement to erect a meridian mark, 28 February 1827.

A letter from Fallows to the Lords Commissioners concerning Capt. W. Ronald's appointment, 15 March 1827.

A letter on the agreement to purchase extra land for the Observatory, 9 May 1827.

A report on the progress of the building of the Observatory, June 1827.

A report to the Lords Commissioners by Fallows, 10 August 1827.

A report by Fallows on the progress of the building work, 20 January 1828.

A letter from G.A. Balston on work to be carried out by the Observatory, 9 October 1828.

A letter to the Lords Commissioners from Fallows on observations made at the Cape, 9 November 1829.

A letter from J. Jones on problems with the mural circle, 21 March 1831.

A letter from J.D. Thomson on his inspection of the Observatory following Fallows's death, 30 November 1831.

A request for T. Henderson to send quarterly reports to the Admiralty, 12 May 1832.

Part of an inventory of instruments at the Cape Observatory, 27 May 1833.

An acknowledgement from the Royal Society of a paper by T. Henderson on 'Observations on the Comet of Encke, in Summer 1832', 6 July 1833.


  • Creation: 1820 - 1833


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


1 volume(s) (1 volume)

Language of Materials


Existence and Location of Copies

RGO 36/4/4 is a microfilm including the contents of this volume.

Finding aid date

2006-08-07 11:26:57+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom