Records of and relating to the Commissary, 1638 - 2002
Scope and Contents
First recorded in 1293, the Commissary was a judicial officer appointed by the Chancellor to act as his deputy. In the early modern period he presided over a court, sitting at least weekly, with jurisdiction over members of the University below the degree of M.A. and also conducting much of the business which might otherwise have swamped the Vice-Chancellor's court. By Statute B.VI as amended by Grace 6 of 20 June 1936 the Commissary was required to certify that charges laid before the Septemviri were fit or not fit to be entertained. Appointment is by the Chancellor, by Letters Patent.
- 1638 - 2002
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
O.XI 4 was transferred to the University Archives by the Registry on 28 Nov. 1979; 5 by the Vice-Chancellor's Office on17 Oct. 1989.
Finding aid date