Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Correspondence on the move to Herstmonceux, 1946 - 1957

 File
Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/644

Scope and Contents

Correspondence and papers regarding the transfer of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, and allied departments to Herstmonceux:

(1) Correspondence, memoranda, manuscript notes and plans concerning the move, 1946-1948, including the following items:

Memorandum from the Civil Engineer-in-Chief's office referring to estimates of costs, the Nautical Almanac Office, the Chronometer Department and the Solar Department Building.

Letters to R. Atkinson from J.T. Williams, Admiralty; H.F. Finch; Dudley Perfect; and H.M. Smith, Abinger Magnetic Station, including layout plans for laboratories and the Bamberg hut and Post Office lines required for the Time Department.

Report on the research laboratories at Herstmonceux.

Handwritten note by Atkinson and others on work to be done, plans and telephone numbers.

(2) Papers regarding accommodation for staff moved to Herstmonceux, 1946-1948, including the following items:

Correspondence of R. Atkinson with E. Sargent Roberts and M.N. Holman, Admiralty, Bath, concerning hostel and canteen accommodation at Herstmonceux Castle.

Memoranda and letters from staff concerning applications to Hailsham Rural District Council for council houses, with Atkinson's letter to [A.T.] Charlton, Regional Housing Officer, Tunbridge Wells, listing staff requirements.

Letters from D.H. Sadler, Nautical Almanac Office, with an extract from 'The Times' report on the 'Airey' rural house, from a parliamentary debate of 25 March 1947.

Copies of a memorandum and letters to H. Spencer Jones on the Nautical Almanac Office move.

Correspondence with Mr Carr, Hailsham; Mr Woodfield, Admiralty, Bath; and C. Jowsey, Hydrographic Department, Admiralty, regarding council houses and private building licenses.

Various memoranda, including drafts by R. Atkinson on the housing of staff.

Letters and notices from various estate agents.

Minutes of a meeting of the Royal Astronomical Society, 9 April 1947, to discuss the planning of the work to be undertaken during 1947-1948 on the transfer of the Royal Observatory.

Statement, manuscript notes and minutes concerning Informal Office Committee meetings, 1947-1948.

(3) Correspondence on plans for the Library, 1948, including the following items:

Letter from R. Atkinson to H.M. Smith.

Letter from D.H. Sadler.

Staff memorandum by J.L. Rudd, R.H. Tucker, Betty Collett, D.S. Perfect, J.D. Hope, V. [Bowess], J.B. Hillgate, H.F. Finch, I. Cross and H.M. Smith.

Plans and a summary of suggestions for the Library by R. Atkinson.

(4) Correspondence on domes for the Equatorial Group, 1953, including the following items:

Copy of a letter from G.M. Sisson, Sir Howard Grubb, Parsons and Co. Ltd.

R. Atkinson's personal and confidential letter to W.J. Wight, Civil Engineer-in-Chief, concerning problems with the design drawings submitted by Mr Jones.

(5) Memorandum to H. Spencer Jones relating to time signals, 1955, concerning reception and aerials in view of objections received.















































Dates

  • 1946 - 1957

Conditions Governing Access

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

Extent

1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)

Language of Materials

English

The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.