Correspondence on the Royal Society, 1928 - 1948
Scope and Contents
(1) Correspondence regarding general committee business of the Royal Society, including the following items:
Correspondence concerning agenda, minutes and other matters relating to the meetings of various committees, 1928-1947, including the Gassiot Committee, Soiree Committee, International Relations Committee, British National Committee, Newton Tercentenary Committee, Meteorological Research Committee, Joint Permanent Eclipse Committee, National Committee for Astronomy and the National Committee of Geodesy and Geophysics.
Reports from observatories at Kew, Eskdalemuir and Valentia, 1940-1946.
Report to the Gassiot Committee by Dr E. Glukauf and Mr Stopes-Roe on optical properties of the atmosphere, 1946.
(2) Correspondence regarding the Gassiot Committee, including the following items:
Correspondence regarding meetings, agenda and minutes of meetings of the Gassiot Committee and sub-committees, 1938-1947, including reports on 'Atmospheric Composition', 'Photochemistry of the Atmosphere', 'Atmospheric Radiation' and 'Temperature'.
Correspondence with the Air Ministry on the establishment of a Meteorological Research Committee, 1941.
(3) Correspondence regarding the Joint Permanent Eclipse Committee, including the following items:
Correspondence with F.J.M. Stratton and A.C. Egerton concerning meetings and membership, 1939-1948.
Correspondence concerning the expedition to observe the total solar eclipse of 20 May 1947, 1946.
Correspondence with F.J.M. Stratton and D.H. Sadler concerning the 1943 eclipse, 1941.
Correspondence with the Mount Stromlo Observatory, the Radcliffe Observatory and F.J.M. Stratton concerning the total solar eclipse of 1 October 1940.
- 1928 - 1948
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Air Ministry
- Egerton, Alfred Charles Glyn, Sir, 1886 - 1959 (Knight, chemist)
- Eskdalemuir Observatory
- Mount Stromlo Observatory, Australia
- Radcliffe Observatory, Pretoria
- Royal Observatory, Kew
- Royal Society
- Sadler, Donald Harry, 1908 - 1987 (astronomer)
- Stratton, Frederick John Marrion, 1881 - 1960 (astrophysicist)
- Valentia Observatory, Ireland
- From the Series: Jones, Harold Spencer, Sir, 1890 - 1960 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)