Correspondence on post-war astronomy, 1945 - 1947
Scope and Contents
Correspondence relating to the Royal Society's committee on the post-war needs of astronomy, including the following items:
Correspondence with F.J.M. Stratton, W.H.M. Greaves, H.H. Plaskett and E.A. Milne concerning an application by E.M. Lindsay for a grant to convert a telescope at Armagh to a Schmidt Camera, 1946-1947, with a copy of the application and a report by H. Spencer Jones.
Correspondence with W.H.M. Greaves concerning the proposed Schmidt Camera at Edinburgh, 1947.
Correspondence with D.H. Sadler, Sir Alfred Egerton and Sir Alexander Cadogen concerning the future of the Astronomisches Rechen-Institut, 1945-1946.
Correspondence with F.J.M. Stratton concerning the future of the Cambridge Observatory, 1945.
General correspondence of the committee on the post-war needs of astronomy.
- 1945 - 1947
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Cambridge University Observatory
- Egerton, Alfred Charles Glyn, Sir, 1886 - 1959 (Knight, chemist)
- Greaves, William Michael Herbert, 1897 - 1955 (astronomer)
- Lindsay, Eric Mervyn, 1907 - 1974 (astronomer)
- Plaskett, Harry Hemley, 1893 - 1980 (astronomer)
- Royal Society
- Sadler, Donald Harry, 1908 - 1987 (astronomer)
- Stratton, Frederick John Marrion, 1881 - 1960 (astrophysicist)
- From the Series: Jones, Harold Spencer, Sir, 1890 - 1960 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)