Scope and Contents
This section contains scans of an album containing photographs taken whilst Joan Blacklocks was living in Cambridge. QMC students were evacuated to Cambridge in 1939: female members of QMC resided at Girton between 1939-1940 and then in houses on Hills Road from 1940 until the end of the War. A QMC prospectus for 1942-43 states that the Governors had taken ‘two large houses in Hills Road’ in Cambridge for first-year women students and that ‘suitable residential accommodation’ for other women students had also been arranged. Joan Blacklocks’ personal photos and letters indicate three ‘houses’ or hostels and dates - but no addresses - and one later address in Cambridge, as follows: 1939, ‘Elm Lodge’; 1940-41, ‘Stratford House’; 1941 ‘Hazelwood’; 1943, 48 (and 68) Holbrook Road, Cambridge. Male members of QMC resided at King's College, Cambridge, during the War. The photographs include photographs taken at Girton College, in central Cambridge (including rowing and punting on the Cam), in different residences in Cambridge, and of work on wireworms and work in a laboratory. The photographs of laboratory work and those connected with her wireworm work are probably those of the Zoology Department of King’s College, Cambridge. A reprint authored by Joan Blacklocks from Nature vol. 154 (18 November 1944), p. 641, about her wireworm work has the address as ‘Queen Mary College, at Zoological Laboratory, Cambridge’. Moreover, contemporary papers by Joan Blacklocks’ supervisor Dr George Salt about this same work give the address as ‘Zoological Laboratory, King’s College, Cambridge.’ There are 44 photographs, listed individually below. They were scanned from 22 album pages (most of the original pages contain two photographs). Additional information has been supplied by Nick Basden, particularly regarding details found on the reverse of the original photographs.