Scope and Contents
The papers at Girton include personal and biographical material, including appointment diaries, address books and photographs and a large quantity of correspondence. There is general correspondence, and letters from former pupils as well as correspondence relevant to her various academic appointments. Her academic papers include lecture notes and working papers from the USA, London and Cambridge, as well as her own publications - mainly articles and reviews in economic journals. There is also a large quantity of documentation from her World War II work, including papers of which she was the author. There is also a collection of family papers and correspondence; this section is closed until 1 January 2028.
Biographical / Historical
Marjorie Tappan was born in New York on 31 October 1895 and attended Bryn Mawr College and Columbia University (receiving a PhD from the latter) before moving to England in 1920. She continued her research while working at the Galton Laboratory, University College, London and held a part-time lectureship at the London School of Economics from 1921 to 1926. In 1923 she became Director of Studies and Lecturer in Economics at both Girton and Newnham Colleges, Cambridge, relinquishing the Newnham post in 1933, but remaining at Girton until her retirement in 1963. She also held a University Lectureship in Economics from 1926 to 1963.
Marjorie Tappan was appointed to a College Fellowship in 1924 and to the College Council in 1925; and she was Vice-Mistress from 1940 to 1941. During the Second World War she was an Assistant Secretary at the Ministry of Economic Warfare and the Board of Trade and an official delegate to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Interim Commission, Washington. After the war she returned to Girton where, in addition to her other posts, she became Director of Studies in Law from 1948 to 1962, and College Bursar from 1946 to 1963.
Two years after her appointment as Bursar, the status of the College changed when women were admitted to degrees and full membership of the University of Cambridge. The new status entailed an adjustment of accounting procedures to fit in with University practice and the rewriting of the College Statutes. Marjorie Hollond undertook the exacting task of amalgamating the College Trust Funds, launched a successful Commemoration Fund, and, with her husband, Professor H A Hollond (whom she married on 7 September 1929), drafted the 1954 College Statutes. She served on many University committees, including the syndicate which reported on Financial Relations between the University and the Colleges (1951), the Financial Board (from 1951 to 1962) and the University Investments Committee.
Marjorie Hollond published reviews and articles in academic journals and was also the author of reports for College, University and Government Departments. Until her retirement, Marjorie Hollond was resident in Girton College (Professor Hollond at Trinity) and with her elegant appearance, long cigarette holder and stylish clothes and cars, she is remembered as a colourful character as well as a most far-sighted Bursar. She died at home in the house the Hollonds purchased after retirement, the Stone House, Madingley Road, Cambridge, on 30 January 1977.