Vouchers relating to the first few years of the college's possession of the estate., 1757 - 1760
Scope and Contents
The estate was purchased at Lady Day 1757 from Alderman Marshall for £888 on condition that the college should receive the rents from that time and pay 4% interest for the purchase money till the whole should be paid to Mr Marshall. £400 were advanced at Midsummer in part of the purchase, and the remaining £488 were paid at Christmas 1757. At the same time were paid £8 17s 6d, a quarter of year's interest of the whole sum, and £9 15s, half a year's interest on £488. Of the purchase money £440 came from the sale to the university of the college's remaining tenements in Regent Walk at the time of the rebuilding of the East front of the Old Schools in 1755, £200 from a bequest of Thomas Greene, Bishop of Ely, for the improvement of the curacy of St Benedict, and £200 from the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty. According to a contemporary college account, however, apart from the £440 received for the sale of the Regent Walk houses, the remaining sum consisted of £450 borrowed from the Master (John Green) and £16 12s 6d was paid by the bursar, John Cott. On 23 March 1759, according to this account, the £450 borrowed from the master was repaid, and £190 borrowed from Dr Spencer's Chest and £260 from Dr Hugh Thomas, Master of Christ's. The vouchers at nos 51 following, support this account. 27 acres and one rood were allotted to the curacy, together with five cowgoings in the middle fen; the buildings, 14 acres 3 roods of land, rights of common, etc., belonged to the college. The property was sold in 1909.
The original numbers 1-3 were transferred, appropriately, to deeds relating to Stow-cum-Quy.
See also 02/B/64 for vouchers relating to this estate.
- 1757 - 1760
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Found with CCCC02/B/64
Finding aid date