Skip to main content

General papers and correspondence as Master of Downing College, 1879 - 1934

Reference Code: GBR/0269/DCPP/SEW/1

Scope and Contents

Envelope including letters from a variety of correspondents: extract from Governing Body minutes, May 1907, relating to Mrs Maitland's gift, in memory of F.W. Maitland, of her late husband's set of the Seldon Society journals and 'the fittings of the West Lodge Lecture room', including tables, shelving and a large bookcase from his rooms at Trinity; from Violet Marsh (widow of the former Master, Professor Howard Marsh), re her gift to the College in his memory of several pieces of silver - one Sheffield plate tray (Georgian), two soupbowls with lids (French, about 1790) and two Rosebowls (Irish, modern), 10 Sept. 1915; undated letter, c.1929, from Elsie Hill, daughter of former Master Alex Hill (1888-1907), thanking Seward for his kind words following her father's recent death; letters from Courtney Stanhope Kenny (Downing College Fellow and Professor of the Laws of England) regarding guests in West Lodge, his Professorship - and resignation in 1918, the clause (section 26) of the Universities and Colleges Estates Act, 1858, relating to leasing houses or lands within College boundaries, and the subsequent Private Act undertaken to allow the disposal of land to the north and south of the Domus at Downing, discussions with commissioners (regarding possible changes to the College Statutes?), 1924, letter (1926) enclosing published pamphlet by Downing College Master, Thomas Worsley, to the Cambridge University Commissioners, 21 Jan. 1879, re proposed changes to the Statutes, 1928 letter re a recent biography of Charles M. Doughty and his migration to Downing 'where attendances at lectures and Chapel were notoriously not enforced', letter advising on proposed wording of the forthcoming Buildings Appeal, 1929; letter from Agnes Kenny, 29 June 1930, re the presentation of her late father's bookcase - 'designed by Wilkins for the Provost's Lodge at King's' - as a memorial to him [the Wilkins Bookcase]; two letters from H. W. Pettit Stevens, Sept. 1915, re aspects of the Downings' family history (the use - or absence - of a 'Red Hand' on the family Arms and the Downing china, which was 'owned by a Bowyer a descendant of the 2nd husband of Lady Jacob Downing'), with notes on the Downing family pedigree and arms; letter from Rev. Dr. H. P. Stokes, Sept. 1915, re the addition of a red hand to the left-hand corner of the arms of a baronet (as with the arms of Sir George Downing 'in one of the windows of the Hall of Clare College'); letter from Law Fellow, Walter Douglas Aston, 21 Jan 1917, serving with the Cambridgeshire Regiment near Middlesbrough [he died of wounds received in action in the First World War on 2 Nov. 1917], with letter from his widow, thanking Professor Seward for the College's thanks for the books bequeathed by Captain Aston and asking to see the enlargement of her husband [photograph of him in uniform] on display in the Combination Room, 10 June 1918; letter from Sir Johannes Wessels [Downing, 1882] thanking Seward for his congratulations on his recent appointment as Chief Justice of South Africa, 30 Nov. 1932; letter from Spencer Maber, 1928, offering a copy of the printed sheet for the laying of the foundation stone at Downing College in 1807; letter from J. H. Widdicombe relating to proposed changes to the position of Dean, the streamlining of his work (possibly relinquishing his roles as Praelector and Lecturer) and the proposed location of the College Office, 23 May 1927; letter from [Honorary Fellow] Ernest Clarke, offering his organ, which was to be bequeathed to the College on his death, straight away, 12 July 1928; letter from Stanley Baldwin MP thanking Professor Seward for his invitation [unclear for what], saying he will respond once he knows what his other commitments will be, 1 Oct. 1934. Also includes: dinner menu and seating plan for the completion of the first part of a building scheme prepared by Sir Herbert Baker and the opening of the Kenny Memorial Gate, 3 Oct. 1932; dinner menu and seating plan for the fourteenth Annual Dinner of the Downing College Association, 22 June 1935; obituaries for [Honorary Fellow] George Wherry, 1928, and Dr Alex Hill, 28 Feb. 1929; presscutting, 'A Picture of the Past', showing the original entrance gate and railings onto Downing Street with the following note: 'Some of our readers might recall this gate way and fine avenue in Downing Street which stood on the site now occupied by the Sedgewick Museum. At the time the photograph was taken this land was Downing College property, and the college arms are on either side of the gate', 1934; reprint from the 'Cambridge Chronicle', 24 Oct. 1890, on a talk by the Rev. H.W. Pettit Stevens to the Cambridge Antiquarian Society on the parish of Tadlow; report of the opening of the new [Baker] buildings of Downing College from 'The Cambridge Review', 14 Oct. 1932; two mounted photographs of 'Greek dancing in front of the Cathedral, Easter Monday, Eleusis, Greece, n.d..


  • Creation: 1879 - 1934


Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Generally open.


1 file(s) : Paper

Language of Materials



Arranged by correspondent. (Original order not changed when catalogued in more detail, 2/2019).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from Rare Books 5/12/2000. Removed from paper envelope marked 'Acc. No. 48 Prof. Seward Papers' when re-catalogued, 2019.

Date information

DateText: Mainly from 1915 onwards.

Finding aid date

2001-09-25 16:01:34+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Downing College Repository

Downing College Archive
Downing College
Cambridge Cambridgeshire CB2 1DQ United Kingdom
+44 (0)1223 762905