Skip to main content

Callcott, William Hutchins, 1807-1882 (composer)



Callcott, William Hutchins (1807-1882), composer, was the son of Dr John Wall Callcott (1766–1821), composer and singer, and his wife, Elizabeth Mary Hutchins, and nephew of Sir Augustus Wall Callcott, RA (1779-1844), painter and singer. He was born on 28 September 1807 in Kensington, London, and baptized there on 24 October 1807. As a child he received some instruction in music from his father, and later continued his studies under his brother-in-law, William Horsley. He then began to teach in London and became organist of the new district chapel in Addison Road, Kensington, and of St Barnabas's Church. On 4 July 1830 he was elected as a member of the Royal Society of Musicians. In 1836 he published an abridged version of his father's A Musical Grammar, in 1840 a collection of psalm and hymn tunes for Bickersteth's Christian Psalmody, and in 1843 The Child's Own Singing Book. In this last work he was assisted by his wife, Maria, who also wrote several religious stories. In 1851 Callcott published Remarks on the Royal Albert Piano (exhibited at the International Exhibition), and in 1859 A Few Facts on the Life of Handel. He also composed several songs, glees, and anthems, but his name is known principally for his arrangements and transcriptions for the piano, which amount to several hundred pieces. He was for some years organist of Ely Place Chapel. In the latter part of his life he suffered much from ill health. He died at 1 Campden House Road, Kensington, on 4 August 1882, and was buried on the 9th at Kensal Green.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:


Piano-forte Grammar

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Add.8888
Scope and Contents

Abridgement by W.H. Callcott of first part of A musical grammar, manuscript prepared for publication, 1836. [`Dr. Callcott's piano-forte grammar. Being an abridgement of the first part of his celebrated "Musical Grammar" arranged in question and answer for the use of beginners and for teachers in schools'.]

Dates: 1836
Conditions Governing Access: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (