Skip to main content

Clark, John Willis, 1833-1910 (Cambridge University registrary)



  • Existence: 1833 - 1910


John Willis Clark (1833-1910), Cambridge University Registrary, was born in Cambridge on 24 June 1833, the son of Dr William Clark, professor of anatomy at the university, and the nephew of Professor Robert Willis. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (B.A., 1856), and became a fellow in 1858. He was superintendent of the Museum of Zoology, Cambridge, 1866-1891, and registrar of Cambridge University, 1891-1910. On his death in 1875 Professor Willis bequeathed his unfinished manuscript of the 'Architectural History of the University of Cambridge' to Clark, who completed the work on the book, and oversaw its publication (4 volumes, Cambridge, 1886). He died in Cambridge on 10 October 1910.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:


Tripos verses

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Add.3873
Scope and Contents 44 sets of Latin verses, circulated when an act for degree was kept, written in various hands. Nos 1-14 are dated 1575-1584. The following are endorsed: 'Carmina bach. tripodis 17o f[eb.] primo die quadragesime 1579 secundum compotum ecclesie Anglie' [3]; 'Carmina patris viz magistri Hutchynson in ultimo actu scilicet 17 Martii 1579 secundum compu[tum...]' [4]; 'Carmina patris die comitiorum quadragesime 1581' [7]; 'primo die Quadragesime 1582 secundum computum ecclesie etc. D. Palmer Tri.'...
Dates: 1575-1590 (Circa)
Conditions Governing Access: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (

Filtered By

  • Subject: Degrees X