Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Mundy, Daniel Louis, fl. 1858-1873 (photographer)

 Person

Biography

Daniel Louis Mundy made a photographic journey in the Southern Alps in 1858 and photographed remote areas of New Zealand. He apparently took over the photographic business of William Meluish in Prince's Street, Dunedin in 1864. Mundy claimed his studio was established in 1856. He photographed the construction of the Dunedin Exhibition buildings in 1864. He exhibited photographs at the New Zealand Industrial Exhibition under the business name 'Mundy and La Mert, Photographers, Christchurch'. On the back of his carte-de-visite of street scenes Mundy also refers to himself as a Christchurch photographer: 'D.L. Mundy, Photo - Christchurch - Canterbury, N.Z. By Appointment to His Excellency Sir G.F. Bowen, K.C.M.G.'. He photographed the collection of moa skeletons at Canterbury Museum for Sir Julius Haast. He also lectured to the Photographic Society, London 1873 (Knight 1971, pp.32-35).

Publications:

Mundy, D.L. and Hochstetter, Ferdinand von (1875), 'Rotomahana; and the boiling springs of New Zealand, a photographic series of sixteen views'. London: Sampson Low, Marston, Low, and Searle.

Sources:

Knight, Hardwicke (1971), 'Photography in New Zealand. A social and technical history'. Dunedin: John McIndoe.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

 Fonds

New Zealand Scenery c.1870

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y3089A
Scope and Contents A commercially produced portfolio containing signed, mounted prints, measuring approximately 240 x 185 mm, with brief descriptive captions pasted to the mounts. It seems likely that these prints form only a part of the complete portfolio: apart from the small number of prints, their geographical location and subject matter seem somewhat unbalanced - six of the views are from a relatively compact area of the eastern section of the North Island, with only one print from the South Island...
Dates: 1870
Conditions Governing Access: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.