Chuck, Thomas Foster, fl. 1860-1898 (photographer)
- Existence: fl. 1860 - 1898
Thomas Foster Chuck was born in London, England, and was educated at the Bluecoat School. Chuck arrived in Melbourne in 1863. He opened a studio in the Royal Arcade, Collins Street, Melbourne in 1864 (Cato 1955, p.60). This studio seems to have lasted until 1876. From 1865-67 he was also active in Daylesford, Victoria. From 1868-69 he had a studio on Octavia Street, St Kilda, Victoria (Davies and Stanbury 1985, p.144). Chuck is well known for his six-foot mosaic of the explorers and early colonists of Victoria (Cato 1955, p.60-61). In the succeeding years Chuck had several studios in Melbourne. However, in 1876 he sold his studio in Burke Street East, Melbourne, to Nicholas Caire and moved to Ballarat, where he continued in the photographic business. He died in 1898 and is buried in St. Kilda cemetery. His business was continued by his son, Thomas Henry Chuck ((Davies and Stanbury 1985, p.144; Cato 1955, p.61).
See between p.176 and p.177 of Cato's 'The story of the camera...' (1955).
Cato, Jack (1955), 'The story of the camera in Australia'. Melbourne: Institute of Australian Photographers.
Davies, Alan and Stanbury, Peter (1985), 'The mechanical eye in Australia: photography 1841-1900'. Melbourne: Oxford University Press.