Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/D.IX
Scope and Contents
What became known as the Knightbridge Professorship of Moral Philosophy was founded in 1683 as a Professorship of 'Moral Theology or Casuisticall Divinity' with estates in Yorkshire, Essex and London given to the University by Rev. John Knightbridge in 1677. Further endowment was provided from land in Ashwell and Therfield, Hertfordshire, purchased by the University from money bequeathed by Rev. Thomas Smoult, first holder of the chair, in 1703.
1677 - 1960
Conditions Governing Access:
From the Management Group:
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).