Plommer, William Hugh, 1922-1983 (classicist)
- Existence: 1922 - 1983
William Hugh Plommer (1922-83) attended Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and the City of Leeds School of Architecture. He was Lecturer in Greek and Roman Architecture, Cambridge, 1954-82; Curator of the Museum of Classical Antiquity; and Fellow of Wolfson College, Cambridge, 1965-83. Plommer revised Simpson's History of Architectural Development, vol. 1, 1956, and published, with J.M. Cook, The sanctuary of Hemithea at Kastabos, 1966. He also published poetry. A compilation of his letters and speeches on modern architecture and planning, especially in Cambridge, was printed as The line of duty, 1982.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Letters and related items, mostly addressed to the editors of the Cambridge Review, and predominantly to Peter Hawkes. Some letters were intended for publication; most of the others concern the contribution (or otherwise) of articles and book reviews.
- Type: Archival Object X