Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Admiralty

 Organization

Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:

 File

Correspondence on estimates and expenditure, 1955 - 1960

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/24
Scope and Contents Correspondence regarding estimates and expenditure, including the following items:Correspondence regarding estimates of expenditure for the Royal Greenwich Observatory for the years 1956-1960, including vote ledger credit and debit cards; the upkeep of the grounds; estimated overseas naval expenditure and receipts; salary and staff estimates; Navy estimates; instruments to be included in the Sketch Estimates; the Sketch Estimates; Appropriation Accounts; liability statements; D.R.E....
Dates: 1955 - 1960
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the move to Herstmonceux, 1946 - 1957

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/644
Scope and Contents Correspondence and papers regarding the transfer of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, and allied departments to Herstmonceux:(1) Correspondence, memoranda, manuscript notes and plans concerning the move, 1946-1948, including the following items:Memorandum from the Civil Engineer-in-Chief's office referring to estimates of costs, the Nautical Almanac Office, the Chronometer Department and the Solar Department Building.Letters to R. Atkinson from J.T. Williams, Admiralty;...
Dates: 1946 - 1957
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the move to Herstmonceux, 1949 - 1952

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/75
Scope and Contents (1) Official correspondence regarding the transfer of the Royal Observatory to Herstmonceux:1. Correspondence concerning the vacation of the Royal Air Force domestic camp within the boundaries of the Admiralty's estates at Herstmonceux.2. Correspondence concerning street lighting in the area surrounding Herstmonceux.3. Correspondence with the British Electric Authority, London division, regarding compensation for damage to instruments at the Royal Greenwich Observatory...
Dates: 1949 - 1952
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the Observatory and Herstmonceux, 1958 - 1963

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/7
Scope and Contents Correspondence and some related papers regarding Herstmonceux Castle and the Royal Observatory, including the following items:General correspondence regarding the Observatory, including the administration of the grounds of Herstmonceux Castle, the supply of trout for the lake at the Castle, and the supply of wild fowl for the Castle grounds, 1963.Requests for information from the Royal Observatory archives, mostly dealt with by P.S. Laurie, 1963.Correspondence between...
Dates: 1958 - 1963
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the Observatory and Herstmonceux, 1934 - 1957

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/1
Scope and Contents Correspondence and some related papers regarding the general administration of the approaches, grounds and interior of Herstmonceux Castle; the removal of the Royal Observatory from Greenwich to Herstmonceux; and the history of the Royal Observatory and Herstmonceux Castle. The papers include the following items:Letter from G. Jones to R. Woolley concerning the gift of his painting of the old buildings at Greenwich, 1956.Correspondence regarding the pair of swans for the lake at...
Dates: 1934 - 1957
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the Observatory and Herstmonceux, 1956 - 1959

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/2
Scope and Contents Correspondence and some related papers regarding Herstmonceux Castle and the Royal Greenwich Observatory, including the following items:Correspondence regarding the 1958 Public Records Act, 1959.Correspondence regarding the opening of the Castle grounds to the public, 1959.Correspondence regarding the visit of Lord Euston, a representative of the National Trust, 1959.Correspondence regarding the layout and management of the Castle grounds, 1959.Copy of...
Dates: 1956 - 1959
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on the Observatory's removal, 1946 - 1949

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 8/6
Scope and Contents Correspondence regarding the removal of the Royal Observatory to Herstmonceux, including letters from the public concerning the move; correspondence with the Admiralty; material relating to the agreement for the sale of Herstmonceux Castle; correspondence with P. Latham; a letter from the Bishop of Chichester regarding the chapel; correspondence regarding the developments which might prove detrimental to the Observatory; material on the housing of staff; correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb,...
Dates: 1946 - 1949
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
 File

Correspondence on visitations, 1938 - 1956

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 9/17
Scope and Contents Correspondence with the Admiralty and minutes of the Board of Visitors relating mainly to visitations, 1938-1941, 1943 and 1946-1956. There are also progress reports, 1953 and 1956, on the transfer of the Royal Observatory to Herstmonceux; correspondence with the Admiralty concerning the new Royal Warrant (1953) for the Board of Visitors; and a memorandum by H.H. Plaskett on the 'Argument in favour of a Wide Angle 100-inch Telescope'.
Dates: 1938 - 1956
Conditions Governing Access: From the Management Group: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.