Skip to main content

Deighton, Bell and Co., Cambridge, booksellers



John Deighton (1748-1828) began selling, publishing and binding books in Cambridge in 1778. The firm became leading suppliers to the University and the public, trading in Trinity Street throughout its existence. In 1854 it was taken over by George Bell (1814-90) and William Wright Smith (c.1822-96), and Smith's descendants owned it until 1938. Subsequent owners of Deighton, Bell and Co. were Horace Anthony Webb (1891-1972), in 1959 William Dawson and Sons, of London, and in 1987 Heffers of Cambridge. After the sale of Heffers to Blackwells, the Trinity Street premises were sold, and the name Deighton, Bell finally disappeared.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:


Deighton, Bell and Co., booksellers: business archive

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Add.9453
Scope and Contents

The archive includes [A] retail, and [B] trade and publishing accounts, [C] stock books, [D] financial account books, [E] publishing contracts, [F] business correspondence, [G] testamentary and [J] property papers, and [K] Smith family papers.

Dates: 1814-1981
Conditions Governing Access: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (