Skip to main content

Coventry Grammer School



Coventry Grammar School was founded in the twelfth century as St John's Hospital to attend to the needs of the poor and the sick. During the dissolution of the monasteries the property was granted to John Hales, who used it as a private home. By 1557 it had opened as King Henry VIII's Free Grammar School.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:


Coventry Grammar School: Catalogue of the library and register of book donors

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Add.4467-4468
Dates: 1697-1705 (Circa)
Conditions Governing Access: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (