Skip to main content

Royal Hospital, Dublin



The Royal Hospital at Kilmainham, Dublin, was founded by James Butler, Duke of Ormonde, in 1680, and completed in 1684. The Hospital was built to provide a home for pensioner soldiers, and was employed in this function until 1927. During the nineteenth century it also became the residence of the Commander-in-Chief of the army, who served as the Hospital's Governor. The Hospital was handed over to the Free State in 1922, and closed soon after the departure of the last pensioners. Following restoration work, which began during the 1980s, the Hospital reopened as the Irish Museum of Modern Art in 1991.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:


Royal Hospital, Dublin: Charter

Reference Code: GBR/0012/MS Add.4340
Scope and Contents

Consists of 40 folios: (fo. 10) copy of the charter of the Hospital granted by King Charles II, 19 February 1684, made c. 1711; (fo. 28v) list of Governors of the Hospital; (fo. 30) annual standing charge of the Hospital, c. 1711. On the binding are the arms and crest of William Bayntun. Inside the front cover: 'J. Craven, 9th May 1810'. On fo. 1: 'W. Bayntun'.

Dates: 1711
Conditions Governing Access: Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (