G R Lambert and Co (fl. 1875-1919) (photographers)
- Existence: fl. 1875 - 1919
G.R. Lambert, from Dresden, arrived in Singapore in 1875. According to Wright, Lambert established a photographic studio in 1875 (Wright 1908). However, Lambert's firm was not advertised in the 'Singapore directory for the Straits Settlements' until 1878. In 1878 it had premises in Orchard Road and was possibly connected with the Lamberts who ran the Singapore Carriage Works and Livery Stables. In 1885 Lambert left the Straits Settlement. From 1885-1905 the firm was managed by Alexander Koch. There was also a branch in Deli, Sumatra, run by H. Stafhell in the mid-1880s and a branch in Kuala Lumpur. A Bangkok branch was run by C Frichas circa 1895. The firm's head office was at Gresham House, Battery Road in the 1890s. The firm was run by H. Thomas Jensen of Reutlinger's, Paris from 1905. G.R. Lambert and Co. were photographers by appointment to the King of Siam and the Sultan of Johore. They also photographed the Federal Conferences of 1896 and 1903 and the visit of Sir John Anderson to Kelantan in 1909. The company was the largest business in the Malay Peninsula. The firm possibly wound up during the First World War.
Wright wrote: 'Lambert has maintained a high reputation for artistic portraiture, and of landscapes they have one of the finest collections in the east, comprising about three thousand subjects relating to Siam, Singapore, Borneo, Malaya and China. An extensive trade is done in picture postcards, the turnover being about quarter of a million cards a year. A large stock of apparatus for amateurs is always kept in hand' (1908).
The firm also employed:
1885: C. Petersen, H. Schübert, Miss Besagoiti, T.A. (or J.A.) Rodrigues. 1901: R. Herbst, H.V. Katte, C. Warleberg, A Beattie. 1910: O. Schwemer (Chairman), H.L. Coghlan, W. Ewald, S. Gauder, R. Matsunaga.
Falconer, J (1987), 'A vision of the past : a history of early photography in Singapore and Malaya : the photographs of G.R. Lambert and Co., 1880-1910'. Singapore: Times Editions.
Wright, Arnold and Cartwright, H.A. ed. (1907), 'Twentieth century impressions of British Malaya: its history, people, commerce, industries, and resources'. London.
Found in 105 Collections and/or Records:
273 x 214 mm. A view looking along one of the wharves in the Tanjong Pagar Docks, with disembarking passengers, porters and labourers on the quayside and a large steamer moored at the left.
269 x 206 mm. A view looking along the wooden wharves and landing stages at Telok [i.e. Teluk] Anson, with a steamer moored at the right. Telok Anson is situated on the Perak River, 40 miles south of Ipoh and 20 miles from the Strait of Malacca.
269 x 206 mm.
Loose albumen prints, measuring approximately 270 x 185 mm, captioned and numbered in the negative.
215 x 272 mm. Showing a wine palm growing beside an ornamental lake in the Singapore Botanic Gardens. The idea of a Botanic Gardens had been formulated as early as 1822 and land was set aside on the slopes of Fort Canning for the purpose. The present gardens were established in 1859 when the government gave a grant of 50 acres of land to the Singapore Agri-Horticultural Society for the purpose. These were opened to the public in 1874.